Sunday 2 September 2012

Lego Loopy!



Apologies for the late blog for Jude’s birthday…with school hols and a great visit to Norfolk (blog to follow) It has been pretty hectic.  As promised here are all the Technicolor details (sun glasses are advisable for safe viewing!)

When Jude decided he wanted a Lego themed party it meant I had so much scope to work with and man did I go Lego loopy!  I started by ordering some great printables through etsy.com and using a theme of primary colours Red, Blue and yellow (with a bit of green thrown in for good measure!) I created, banners, bunting, signage, treat toppers even water bottle labels which were particularly impressive!

I managed to find some great Caroline Gardner (love her) red and white spotty gift paper which was reduced in John Lewis! This worked really well as a contrasting backdrop for the display table. Ebay came to my rescue with various lego paraphernalia including some great Lego moulds which I used to make coloured chocolate mini-figures for the treat bags and cupcakes and fondant icing Lego bricks (used on the main cake)


I made Lego head cake pops by attaching a smartie to the top of the cylinder shape pop before dipping them in the yellow candy melts.  I found a great Perspex bathroom set from IKEA (in the bargain corner…so proud of myself!) which I filled with small Lego bricks and used to display the cake pops. 







I used the larger containers to display matching ‘candy’ of strawberry pencils and M&M’s (thank you Caroline for the M&M donation!) I painstakingly picked out the themed colours, which has consequently left me with a mountain of brown and orange M&M’s! (Hmmm what to do with those?)

The cake:  I used a large Lego board (eBay bargain) as the cake board. This was great as it allowed me to use mini-figures which could be attached to the cake board.  The main cake was a rich chocolate sponge covered in yellow fondant with 3 large vanilla sponge bricks which I built on top of the cake ensuring that there was a four stud brick for the four candles to sit on! 




I managed to have Lego bricks personalised to display ‘Happy birthday Jude’ as the centre piece (also EBay) The kids were delighted when they realised all the small bricks were made out of fondant icing and as soon as Jude had blown out his candles we allowed them to dive in and eat the Lego bricks (blink and they were gone!)

To complete the Lego theme I had a T-shirt made for Jude from stardust kids.   Fantastic quality 


Games:
We are normally lucky with the weather on Jude’s birthday and a 10ft inflatable slide has kept the kids entertained in the past.  This year the weather was not in our favour so it was down to me to entertain 13 kids for two hours (the joy!) as well as the usual pass the parcels I managed to theme a lot of the games.  Pin the mini-figure, build and race a Lego car and my favourite the Lego brick race game…the children had to get into pairs and each pair were given a cup of small Lego bricks and an empty cup.  They then had to race against time to pass the bricks through the hose to their partner at the other end.  The quickest pair was the winner.  This was a big hit and you could use smaller tubing for older children but for 4 year olds this kept them very occupied!



I made my own party bags using a 2inch round cutter and some foam sticky pads to make studs to stick on yellow rectangular bags.  Voila Lego brick party bags (Blue Peter eat your heart out!) I got a great Lego party box kit from the Lego store website half price (very pleased with my bargain hunting!) which included these great mini-figure birthday builder packs.  Here is what I put inside the bags:

That’s all folks! I must confess it was great fun to bring it all together but wouldn’t want to do it all again in a hurry!    

No comments:

Post a Comment