Saturday 13 October 2012

Wurzel Gummage and Angel Cake


Lying in bed the other night reflecting on my week all I could relate it to was Wurzel Gummage and his infamous changing of heads!  I have been flitting from Baker to Teacher and back to Baker! Wurzel got me thinking about Sunday teatime growing up.  My Grandma would always come for the day and Mum would always make sure that we were fed to full capacity!  After a traditional roast with all the trimmings followed by a pudding (usually steamed with custard) we would spend the rest of the afternoon recovering! Dad usually having a crafty snooze in his chair, Mum and Grandma doing the washing up then spending the rest of the afternoon with non stop nattering! I’m not sure what my brothers and I used to get up to (usually involved ‘playing out’) but we always made it back for Wurzel Gummage.  It wasn’t Sunday teatime until Wurzel fell off his perch! 

That was mums cue to roll out the cold cut sandwiches, pork pie, pickled onions, and some sort of cake.  If it wasn’t one of mums home baked favourites (Victoria Sandwich, Ginger loaf or Malt loaf) it would be (shop bought; heavens forbid!) The choice….Angel cake! 

I used to love perfecting the technique of carefully peeling away the white and pink sponge layers to skilfully reveal the yellow sponge with (hopefully) both layers of cream attached to either side!  God we used to eat a lot but you couldn’t beat that traditional family Sunday, it really was a great day; a day which nowadays has much less significance which is a shame.

So with my ever changing ‘heads’ As ‘Baker’ I have managed to create a Rapunzel cake (blog to follow) 90th birthday cupcake and cake pop favours, some more lavender bakes, Halloween gingerbreads and trialled and failed two batches of lavender fudge (watch this space I will not let it beat me!) As ‘Teacher’ I was back at the Academy teaching my first class of new Hospitality hopefuls! Finally to end the week, today I’ve been on a one day photography course!  So my ‘3rd head’ is now filled with apertures, ISO’s, compositions and shutter speeds! I learnt a lot so let’s just hope I can put it into good practice!



No comments:

Post a Comment